Haus of Gloi Autumn Haul and Review

Hey all!

Welcome to my first ever Haus of Gloi purchase review. Ever since I joined the IMAM subreddit I've heard a ton of great things about them, so when they released their Autumn collection, I got hyped and put an order in too. I got some perfume samples (could not justify splurging on a Samhain, unfortunately), a lip balm, and a bubbling scrub. The samples and scrub arrived just fine, but I realized that they forgot to include my lip balm (probably in the ensuing rush to fill orders).

The awesome thing was is that I totally got my roommate into trying on indie perfumes with me! It's fun to see which things smell better on her. She has the most hilarious descriptions (butter sofa omfg). It's also great because, unlike my boyfriend, things don't just smell bad or good to her, and I now have someone to discuss them with!



Uh... I just thought the newspaper was pretty :D derp

Customer Service
I ordered on Aug 24th, it was shipped Aug 29th, which is pretty darn fast considering how many orders they were flooded with. I received the package on Sept 2nd, and that's when I found out my lip balm was missing :(. I think it's fine, though. Everyone makes mistakes!

Haus of Gloi Autumn Collection

Oh my gaw the wrapping

Tobac (freebie)
Pipe tobacco, a wisp of smoke, Bourbon vanilla and two cedarwoods.
Me: This was a freebie! I guess they figured a masculine scent would complement all the other ones I got. I kinda wish I got Olde Cider House instead though, cuz everyone makes it sound amazeballs. In bottle: Dusty leather, dirt, sunflower seed shells. On skin: dark, dusty, Chinese traditional medicine-- the kind that my mom used to steep and drink. I suppose that is the tobacco note, though tobacco smells differently to me? Maybe it isn't. I'm actually kind of fond of the herb smell, but it's a weird fondness, similar to my fondness for the smell of rubber. I know it's not supposed to smell good, but I can't help myself. However, I don't actually want to smell like it, lol. Dabbed some on the boyf (who rather unwillingly acquiesced), and it smelled exactly the same as it did on me. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: This smells like a shitty version of mint floss.
RM: In bottle: Smells like you walked into, like, an apothecary. On skin: It smells like ginseng. Straight up ginseng.



Spider Silk
Procured from a dream: delicate water mint, wispy grey musk, crystalline webs of amber, oakmoss, torchwood, copaiba resin, and a touch of withered violet leaf.
Me: In bottle: Interesting... a heavier scent than I thought it would be, but maybe I am confusing heavy for strong; it is straight up oil after all. It's got a woodsy note, but apart from that I can't really pick apart the notes. It smells kind of like dust, but in a good way, like dusty ancient forest. There's a sweetness that is herbal. On skin: Leathery, woody, but mostly leathery. It smells different on my wrist than it does on my elbow! On elbow it's a lot darker, woodier, and...mustier. I like it on my wrist a lot better, but it still smells really masculine. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: Burned my nose. On skin: Okay. It smells like... It reminds me of fireworks. Like, the red packaging on fireworks.
RM: In bottle: Really concentrated tea. Like, strong strong tea. On her skin: Very clear smelling. It also smells like you walked into an apothecary. Sharp. Whoa, it's way creamier on your skin. Ooh, it's like an old house, like an old lodge.

Pumpkin Eater
Cream, glowing pumpkin, rich vanilla bean and the tiniest touch of nutmeg butter.
Me: In bottle: CREAM. VANILLA. PUMPKIN. PIE CRUST. On skin: At first it was strong, almost barf inducing pumpkin pie. I'll be honest, I was pretty scared. But it quickly dried down to delicious, amazing pie crust with smidgens of pumpkin. On my other friend, who is male, it just smells like Michael's Halloween Aisle, which I dislike. Thank goodness it smells like food on me. I love food. Lasted 4 hours.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like lemon-type cake.
RM: In bottle: Eurgh, it's the butter again. Except stronger. One with a strange plastic polymer. Dissolved acetone.

Does everyone have this candy? Even my hairdresser has them @_@

Ghost Puffs
Buttery popcorn and marshmallow goo orbs, presented on a wooden stick.
Me: In bottle: Smells almost exactly like the s'mores cake at my dining hall... with tons more butter. On skin: Smells like marshmallows and popcorn! Success. After a while, the popcorn goes away and it's all marshmallow. Yum. Lasted 3 hours.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like some obscure cake thing I've eaten before... On skin: That one smells cool. It smells like ice cream.
RM: In bottle: It smells like the butter Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean. This is what it smells like the taste of! On skin: Ehh, it smells like butter. No, like a new sofa! A buttery sofa smell. Now it's cream. The sofa smell disappeared! Dude, it smells like Jet Puffed on you whaat.

Persephone's Descent
Pomegranate, pale musk, narcissus blossom and black amber.
Me: In bottle: smells like Bed Bath and Beyond. On my skin: It's not bad, but I wish the fruity pomegranate flavor came out more. It doesn't smell so much like Bed Bath and Beyond anymore, but it still reminds me of a store that sells scented candles and things. Slightly floral, slightly generically fruity, not offensive but not remarkable. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: Oh, this one smells bad. Take it back. On my skin: *groan*
RM: In bottle: Wait no. I like this one. Can I put some on? On her skin: No, this one's good! Use this one. It smells fragrant. Like fuschia. With herbs. It's kinda sharp, and pungent, like, strong. There's an underlying flowery smell. Wow, yours is sharper, like rosemary or something! It's like walking into Bath and Body. Man, I want a bottle of this. Whoah, now it turned herbal.

Cuties.


Madcap Garden (freebie)
A lively blend of pure black tea chilled with peppermint and the tiniest spike of sweet honey. Very unisex, stimulating, addictive, and bright.
Me: In bottle: Minty Dove soap. On skin: Oh my god, where did the mint go? It's 100% magnolias right now, and I hate it so much. I'm so sorry, Madcap lovers. Magnolias forever, even dry. Lasted 6+ hours. Reading the scent notes now, I'm flabbergasted. My skin really does just shoot down anything remotely tea... what's going on??? My tea-soaked Asian skin should amp that ish up like no other because culture.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like mint. Smells just like the generic old person fragrance, but with mint. 2/10. On my skin: Ugh.
RM: In bottle: Oh. I don't...dislike it. Very peppermint-y. With a flower added. And star anise. Ionno. It smells like a poison. Also pine. On her skin: Oh my goodness, what is this? Magnolias? Ohhh.

Safety seals! Yes.


Litchi Milk Tea Bubbling Scrub
Tart lychee fruit and black tea met with a splash of coconut milk.
Me: 10/10 This smells awesome. Reminds me a lot of Black Violet's Red Lotus, except a bit creamier. Exfoliates great and doesn't dry me out! It doesn't totally cure my lizard legs...yet. We'll keep working on it. Boyf and roommate both think it smells like apple oatmeal...which is delicious and awesome too kekeke. Now I really want to try bubbling scrubs in Autumn LE scents... I've got my eye on Olde Cider Haus, though I haven't smelled it yet. It's been raved about so much that I don't feel terribly worried buying a mini scrub of it blind, though!

I want to eats it.


What I loved: Litchi Milk Tea Bubbling Scrub! This is my winner of the bunch (until my lip balm comes in, maybe). Ghost puffs is awesome too. I usually am on the fence about wearing scents that are warmer and rounder, but I can't help it with this one. I love smelling like marshmallows and popcorn. Probably not going to get a full bottle of it, but I hope it comes out in a whipped soap! If not, I can always get the bubbling scrub.
What I liked: Pumpkin Eater.
What wasn't for me: Tobac, Spider Silk, Persephone's Descent, Madcap Garden.

Haus of Gloi is awesome. I can't wait to try out their whipped soaps (conveniently running out of shower gel atm) and am eagerly awaiting my turn to throw more money at them when they release Part 2.

Cheers!



0 comments:

Post a Comment