Darling Clandestine Review

Holy moles, we're reviewing again!
I'll be honest, I still haven't gotten my act quite together, 3 weeks before finals. I'm horrible at math (okay, I suppose relative to my peers) so EE20 is bonking me over the head with a rusty hammer. Anyways, I have a huge backlog of reviews to do (I have a 3 parter of Alkemia of which I don't know if I'll ever release, since I had such a negative/meh reaction to them, though my roommate took great joy in reviling in them), especially of cosmetics and bath stuff and hooargh. Okay, I'll stop.

Yass, rain


Darling Clandestine! I have never heard of negative reviews of DC's scents. I've heard of scents that don't work for everyone and are a bit too weird for everyday wear, but Evonne is spot on with customer service and has a huge following. I made this order right after her 20% off sale in August; took to long to place my order and missed the coupon, whoops.

Makes me feel like a winner.


Customer Service
I ordered on August 26th and received a shipping notice on Sept 3rd, which was well within her TAT at the time, especially considering the fact that she just had a sale. I had contacted Evonne about making a little sample order and she was prompt to reply and make me a listing :D

Darling Clandestine

M'fave


Tilt-A-Whirl
Carefully blended and infused by me in small batches in vintage glass wine bottles, this is a bright, citrusy fragrance that begins fruity and ends mellow and herbal and almost grown up. :) It was designed at the request of the wholly awesome supreme nerd goddess Caitlin at Shiro Cosmetics, who wanted something orangey and passionfruity but not too sweet, and who knows a little something about brilliant color and fantastic blending herself. 
Me: In bottle: Whoah! This is fruity and minty and wonderful! I do get a little bit of the pineapple-- like pineapple candy. On my skin: Fruity, fresh, and slightly clean linen floral without being detergent or soap-y. It's fading quite quickly, though, which makes me sad. Still smells great. I'm kinda sad that the more I wear this, the more I tire of the scent :(
Bf: In bottle: Smells like pineapples. Maybe it was because I was touching the pineapple. On my skin: Smells like the inside of my church... kinda.
RM: In bottle: Why were you touching the pineapple? It smells like mint. On her skin: Oh I like it when it's on my skin! It smells like soap. Citrus soap... and mint.



Serpentina
Green tea with a smoky opium bite. Unisex to feminine. This is a hands-down favorite with customers, and a great primer for folks who are cautious about plunging head-on into the weird world that is DC. It's fresh and invigorating, and comforting, but has just a little bit of snarl, "a flash of a dark underside", as one customer put it.
Me: In bottle: It smells like incense and jasmine! On my skin: God, it smells like jasmine. It's amazing! The incense is going away slowly. It smells really Asian; but in a good way. The incense is making a comeback. It's okay, though, cuz it mixes well with the jasmine. There's a decently strong throw, which is nice. I can smell it while I type. Ultimately, I'm not so sure about the incense.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like one of those fancy Persian girls.
RM: In bottle: Oh. Ew. No. It's my childhood. It's the bad part of my childhood--oh fuck, ew. Oh nevermind. It sort of smells like my um... my moquito...what is it called... the balm that sooths mosquito bites and works as a repellant. On her skin: Ehhh I don't like it on my skin. It smells like pesticides. Omg, I'm getting the incense and jasmine now. Oh, I am getting all of the incense...

I think I don't like orchid.


Gram Negative
Gram-Negative is deep, damp, earthy essential moss; sticky green leaf resin; a whisper of black tea; and a rare, rich, mellow, buttery orchid essential oil that is just divine. It's incredibly smooth, unisex, and one of my new personal favorites. I've created it for microbiochemophile Eleni, this lovely gal right here: http://personellietea.com/ 
Me: In bottle: Deep, dark chocolate and some sharpish, bitter berry wine. On my skin: Dark chocolate, leather, and a little bit of Chinese medicine thrown in. I should hate it, but I don't. It's masculine without being overly sexy, which is interesting and good.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like... like... like a chocolate store in the mall... but it's not the good stuff. It's just like ugh. On my skin: Smells like an aluminum cup. An aluminum cup that you drink water out of.
RM: In bottle: Ew, I don't like it. It smells like boogers. And chocolate. It smells like boogers and chocolate! Like the boogers Bertie's Bott's Every Flavor Bean. On her skin: Boogers.

Such cute labels.



Rubythroated Lip Balm
?????
Me: In jar: Very herby green smell. Like freshly mown weeds with green spice. On lips: glides on smoothly in a soft wax way, though sometimes hard to feel if I've built up much coverage. After a while, my lips do become softer though!
Bf: In jar: Ugh. Medicine. Take it away!
RM: In jar: Nnnmph. Herbs.

Made a bit of a dent already, unsanitary as balls.


Bifrost Lip Balm
A lip balm as brisk and luscious as I imagine the air would taste as you cross that rainbow bridge. :)
Me: In tin: Smells exactly like Sees Candies Dark Peppermints. You know, the better version of thin mints. Yum... On lips: This is not one to put on if your lips are at a very dry and cracked stage. It buuurnnnnns, which I'll attribute to the peppermint essential oil. It's somehow more oily than Rubythroated, but I enjoy all different lip balm textures as long as they cover my lips! If my lips aren't cracked or thin-skinned, the peppermint feeling is pleasant, much like that of Burt's Bees original formula, but stronger. And it really works! My lips feel smoother within the first 10 minutes of use.
Bf: In tin: This smells like... mints.
RM: In tin: Smells like mint. Oh no, it smells like tiger balm. What the hell. This is just Tiger Balm. I think some of it got on my tongue and now everything is numb. On lips: Oh this is so nice! My lips are so smooth now. *pats lips*

Every so often I put the lid on the other end so that I use both sides equally.

LOOK AT THIS LABEL.

So that was my first take on Darling Clandestine! I've definitely already ordered again from them during the restocks for Falloween, and that review is coming maybe soon. Might be after finals, though. I think I might have to give up on perfumes as a whole, guys. Stuff just doesn't work on me :(

In other news, it's the day before the Big Game! Hopefully we can kick Stanford ass this year. Last year's game was just too sad. Cal got all spirited up by putting all these awesome lights and things up all around campus, and this was the best Campanile silhouette from the whole week:

Winter is coming! The other two sides were Lannister and Targaryen, but they didn't look as crisp.

Squirrels don't give a shit. They fat and happy.

Cheers and GO BEARS!




0 comments:

Post a Comment