Solstice Scents Autumn Part 1 Review

Why hello there friends and enemies,

Today I have some Solstice Scents Autumn Part 1 release scents to review! This was my first time purchasing from SS, and I had to get on it because I really want to try their whipped soaps, but I gotta smells the smells first before committing. I'm starting a new policy of only buying perfumes/samples if they have a bath/skin product counterpart that I'm interested in  (with notable exceptions for companies that I know have a higher percentage of smells that work well on my skin-- I'm just really tired of my nose and my skin buggering all the smells up for me).

Loving the paper straw and product flyers


Customer Service
I ordered on the day that the Autumn Collection came out, September 13th, and it was shipped September 15th (:O waow). I had a little bit of a problem with the shipping selections, but after I emailed Angela, everything was sorted out and A-OK! A good portion of my shipping was heftily refunded, which is like yaaay. Another problem I had was that everytime I clicked on the link in my email to view my order and tracking details on their website, it would tell me that there was no information and to check back later. The day my samples arrived, it still insisted that there was no tracking information. I chalked it up to the fact that the shipping selection stuff was messed up, and so maybe back end things hadn't yet been fixed. Wasn't too worried about it. Smells ahoy!



Solstice Scents Autumn

Their logo is so fitting!


Witch's Cottage
Warm Baked Goods, Dried Herbs, Sweet Annie, Soft Woods & Fragrant Hearth Smoke
Me: In bottle: Maple syrup, something herby and dry, wet stones. On my skin: The maple kind of fades into the background to be sweet but not sticky. The rest vaguely smells like dusty old herbs being hung up-- not strong herbs, but herbs that have been drying for a good long while. Kinda woodsy.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like breakfast french toast or something. On my skin: Smells like breakfast foods.
RM: In bottle: Mmm. Butter. Butter and herbs. On her skin: Oh, gross butter. Aw, so gross butter. It smells like bitter gross herbs drowned in Paula Dean's butter. This one smells suckish.

Blackburn's Parlor
Vanilla Waffle Bowl, Vanilla & Chocolate Ice Creams, Sliced Bananas Smothered In Caramel Sauce & Topped With Whipped Cream
Me: In bottle: Chocolate and bananas! But cold chocolate, like ice cream. On my skin: Close up, it's darkly sweet-- almost like chocolate but without the body of chocolate, but not cloying or frilly. Farther away there is definitely waffle cones happening aaaaaaah waffle cones!!! I wish it were stronger. I love walking into our local Johns (formerly of the $1 generously sized ice cream scoop, now $1.25) and inhaling the waffle cone smell deeply before berating the boyf not to get 2 scoops again. Fades quickly.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like a really diluted smell of like spray paint or something. Paint in a can. On my skin: I don't know.... it makes the inside of my nose feel cold like Vick's vaporub does...
RM: In bottle: I see where you're coming from, but it smells like banana cream pie and paint in a can. Or just bananas or something. On her skin: Fudgy bananas? (muttering: what the fuck does Blackburn's Parlor even mean?) Fudgy bananas. Ooh, I like it because it smells like choco bananas.



Blackburn's Farmstead
Blackberry Jam, Boysenberry Preserves, Vanilla Bean Accord, Creamy Vanilla & a Touch of Vanilla Musk
Me: In bottle: Its super fruity in this artificial way. Reminds me of when I go to the dentists' and they put fluoride foam on your teeth after they do the cleaning. One year I picked a fruity flavor, and I completely regretted it because it was sour and kiddie fruity and not great. Have never made that mistake again. Mint forever! On my skin: Kind of sour and berry-fruity. Powdery. Not exactly sweet, like Sycamore, but more of the flavor of fruit candies for kids. Not my favorite. Where is the vanilla?
Bf: In bottle: It smells like bubblegum. On my skin: I've never smelled this before. It's tingly? In my nose.
RM: In bottle: It smells like bubblegum and gushers. I kinda like it. Just because it's gushers!



Sycamore Sugarworks
Caramelized Pear Tarts, Banana Apple Muffins, Spice Cakes With Rum Glaze, Cream Puffs & Maple Walnut Pastries
Me: In bottle: Maple syrup all the way. Not a sticky smell though. On my skin: Maple syrup? It's less of a sweet smell and more of the actual maple-- slightly resinous, as if you were smelling concentrated sap before it was boiled down. Reminds me a lot of how Posset's Cannoli smelled on me-- and I didn't quite like Cannoli.
Bf: In bottle: It smells like that bubblegum with that sweet cinnamon smell. On my skin: Smells like a breakfast food but a baked breakfast good. Smells alright.
RM: In bottle: Ew, butter. I just can't handle anything that's so buttery! It makes me want to retch. It just smells like complete, undiluted butter. On her skin: Ugh. New car and butter.

Foxcroft
Ozone, Rustling Leaves, Rich Black Soil, Chimney Smoke & Woods
Me: In bottle: Cut grass and something biting that I can't put my finger on... On my skin: At first there's a lot of the grass, but it calms down quickly to this wispy, dusty smell that reminds me of Berkeley in the early morning (3 am when I finish my homework!), when the fog is seeping onto campus and into the hills. Kind of smells of wet rocks and pavement. I keep smelling my arm because it smells so real. It's really lovely-- I don't think I've smelled another perfume like this! It's what I imagined HoG's Spider Silk would smell on me. I think most of it got on my sweater though; it's really faint after 2 hours. Does this come in whipped soap? I want.
[Edit] On second try, the wet rocks and pavement smell doesn't come out as strong as I'd like, and it's a lot of grass the whole way through :/ Ended up not getting the whipped soap during restocks.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like whiteboard markers.
RM: In bottle: It smells like... fresh cut grass. And bagels. And almonds. On her skin: Just the grass. Aww, this one's too sharp for me 'cuz I usually hate cut grass smell.



Kitchen
Pumpkin, Sugar Cookies, Peach Preserves, Spice Breads, Danishes, Caramel, Vanilla & Sweet Wood Smoke
Me: In bottle: Buttery pastry. Reminds me of Sycamore, except without the maple. Very reminiscent of cannoli. On my skin: Super buttery pastry that dries down to a really homey scent. Unlike Posset's Cannoli and Sycamore Sugarworks, there's this dusty note that really pulls the pastry back and keeps it from becoming too intensely foodie. I realized that I enjoy scents that are foodie but not overly so-- I don't want to smell like a waffle, but I want to smell like the idea of a waffle, if that makes sense. This one reminds me of pancakes being made in an old house by a doting grandma. It's so good. I think this is the first time I've found something that I really, really like. I'm not sure if I'll get a full size of this, but definitely going for a whipped soap once they restock this weekend ay ay ay! Finally I get to love something that is well loved by IMAM.
[Edit] Why is this not a whipped soap :(
Bf: In bottle: This one smells like oatmeal too.
RM: In bottle: EW *cough*. Rancid butter. Why do they make these things?



Blossoms Jam Tea Cakes (free sample)
Southern Tea Cakes, Petit Fours, Floral Infused Jams & Preserves and a Delicate Aroma of Tea
Me: In bottle: Weirdly herby, sorta berry, cake/cookies. A very weird scent reminiscent of something that might be a candle smell. On my skin: Er... I don't know. There's this nice warm biscuit smell, but it's being overrun by what might be the jam and tea? Whatever it is, it smells kind of artificial and a little bit like candles and heavy duty cleaner. Sadness.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like... smells like... cake *reading off label* .... tea.... and ... brossoms? Blossoms?
RM: In bottle: If it smells like butter, I will cut a bitch. Once again, gross. They all smell like butter!

What I loved: Kitchen, Foxcroft - kinda? When it's not being so grassy
What I liked: Blackburn's Parlor - wished it lasted longer.
What wasn't for me: Witches Cottage, Blackburn's Farmstead, Sycamore Sugarworks, Blossom Jam Tea Cakes.

Why you no have Kitchen whipped soap? As per usual, I have way more misses than hits, but I was pleasantly surprised by both Kitchen and Foxcroft! I'm keeping an eye out for Part 2 for sure :D

Cheers

0 comments:

Post a Comment