Possets Sicilian Summer Review

This was my first time trying Possets! I ordered these from Ajevie's Possets Sicilian Summer decant circle (also a first, and a very great experience), which was a smooth and speedy process. Thank goodness for decants, or else I wouldn't have been able to try anything at all. I put my order into the circle on July 24th in the middle of the ordering period, and my package was shipped by August 4th! Ajevie very kindly included a Pixy Stix, which my boyf and I downed almost immediately. I haven't had Pixy Stix since middle school. I ate just as much of the paper wrapper as I did back then.

Someone put them in a bucket, which they then made into a lamp. Why? Who cares.

Roommate also joined me for this smelling, though it was hard to get her opinion of some of them on her skin since she would put half a dozen scents on both arms and get them all mixed up. She makes up for it with gems like these (and also by being the best roommate ever):

Roommate: I tend to like smells that smell like circles.


Posset's Sicilian Summer Collection 
Note: they are retiring the summer collection on September 22nd, so get those orders in!

Ickle fumes

Stiletto
Sicilian lemon mingles with oakmoss which vamps to galbanum, which flirts with yuzu.
Me: In bottle: Whoa, I've never smelled anything quite like this. Zesty lemony, dirty smoke, mint. On my skin: Dried down to a earthy, woodsy scent. The lemons are there, but they're more juicy and floral, and the zest is almost completely absent. Contrary to the boyf, I'm actually kind of fond of this. It's complex and pleasant. In the end, the lemons disappeared and it became a MSBB (My Scent But Better... is this a thing? Can I make this a thing?). Boyfriend doesn't think so, though. Lasted 6+ hours on my skin, including shower. I'll be honest, I have no idea what oakmoss and galbanum are supposed to smell like, but I'll just hazard a guess that it was whatever wasn't lemons!
Bf: In bottle: Eeeew. Eeeeeew. Smells bad. On skin: Ugh. Old people. Old people from church.
RM: In bottle: It smells like the underside of a leaf. On her skin: Oh... it smells like cologne. It's not so sharp anymore. I like it!

The bottom of the leaf is where it breathes out, so I guess it smells like leaf breath?


Fiore di Profumo
Acacia with its honey scent, neroli, the whiff of lime and the artful addition of a bit of linden blossom to hold the whole together. A bouquet of perfume held together with lime juice.
Me: In bottle: Sweet and kind of mint-spicy-herby and very very medicinal. On my skin: God, this is such a strange smell. It's like a combination between dark honey mixed with traditional Chinese medicine. Everytime I go in for a sniff, it tickles my nose and makes me want to sneeze. It's kind of strong, so I'm probably going to have to wash it off a bit so that I don't bother my classmates >< Okay, holy moly. The most amazing thing just happened when I put water on it (or maybe even right before???)-- the Chinese medicine mostly just disappeared! I can still smell some of it, but it mainly morphed into something that smells like... those little perfume inserts that they stick into Macy's catalogs. And undertones of cheap chocolate. Yep. Still impressive about the whole switcharoo, though. Where's my lime juice?? Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: Smells like... Japantown. And those quirkly little shops they have in Japantown. On my skin: Oh. Pot pourri.
RM: In bottle: Ohhhhh it's the smell of ume. Sour pickled Japanese plums. Dried and pickled.

My roommate went to Japan for a month this summer, so she knows all about these things.


Jardin di Principio
Olive blossoms, cupped old roses, waxy white magnolia, and a hint of clove streaming out of the kitchen or was that a flower which was a clovelike blossom. Mixed with the scent of earth and the scent of water on limestone with moss.
Me: In bottle: Floral, magnolias, a bit of spice, a little bit Bed Bath and Beyond.  On skin: Super floral in that kind of typical "this is a floral perfume!" way, with a twist of Dove soap. I actually liked it a bit, it felt traditional and respectable. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: I don't like these ones! They all smell like Restoration Hardware. On skin: Fresh baby diapers.
RM: In bottle: It just smells like flowers. Like, a rose garden. And baby powder. On her skin: Oooh this smells really nice. Because flowers.

Scylla
Several different sorts of figs in this fragrance in order to capture the right balance of sweet, dark, and elixir, and a small amount of lychee.
Me: In bottle: Sickly sweet sour tartness with a weird sharp grassy edge. Kinda coconutty. On my skin: cheap public bathroom soap. This isn't going away. :(((((((. Okay, so about 12 hours later, it's great! It smells faintly and awesomely of clear water and loveliness. Derp derp derp. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: *Makes face* *Repeated sniffing* I have no comments about this one. Take it away! I don't like it. On my skin: Neh.
RM: In bottle: Mmm. It smells like... a plum that's gone bad. On her skin: Uh, this smells like cut grass. I bet plums that have gone bad smell like cut grass, then.

I dunno bout you but it smells like bad plums to me.

Cannoli
Deep fried tubes of the lightest crust filled with sweetened ricotta cheese.
Me: In bottle: Super syrupy toasty. French toast! Or waffles with syrup. Breakfast foods. On my skin: ITS SO TOASTY. It actually smells like hot, out of the oven cannoli shells. Oh my god. It is so strong. I could smell it from my elbow for 5-6 hours. It is overwhelmingly maple syrup, and has been so for a good while. I mean, I like to eat buttery maple syrup, but I guess I don't enjoy smelling like it strongly for ages. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: Hm. Smells like some type of pastry, but maybe not cannoli. On my skin: Plain oatmeal. Blue packaged Quaker oatmeal. (Me: No fucking way. Him: Yes fucking way.)
RM: In bottle: Oh oh my god. It smells incredibly concentrated pumpkin pie filling. Just all of the molasses and all of the butter. On her skin: And now it's the pie crust. It smells so good. It's food, straight up just food. Oh yess. Oh now it's gross. Probably because I stuck my nose too close to it. Oh my gosh. It just smells like butter cookies now. Straight butter. Like, that nice, sweet butter. I wouldn't want it on my skin ever, but I'd want it wafting out of the kitchen, you know? *After layering Black Violet's Yuzu Cookies* Oh my god, it smells like lemon cookies! I'm just food now.

Oh gaw I'm hungry now.

Myrtle of Venus
Peach, apricot, myrtle, grey (seafoamy) musk. Lyrical and beautiful, simple, pure and serene. 
Me: In bottle: Fruity with a sharp pine edge. Whatever fruit it is, it actually goes pretty well with the pine. On my skin: Fruity fruity fruity pine pine. It's actually really pleasant. I wore this on one arm and Cannoli on the other while I was testing them, and that combination was unbearable, but if I isolate it it's pretty nice. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: *blank look* Japanese candies.
RM: In bottle: Like candy. Like the Michael's fall section + candy. On her skin: It smells like... nothing. Like a Bath and Bodyworks lotion. Like, really familiar. Something like peach blossom. I really like it! It has a bit of a tart smell, so it's not... and then, the rest is fruit and a flower blossom.

Gelato: Strawberry from Syracusa
Crush them and add them to gelato and the scent and taste is so glorious, your mortal body can scarcely contain the pleasure. Very fresh and not cloying at all. 
Me: In bottle: Sickly sweet strawberries, cream, and water table crackers. I don't know if it's been contaminated with Bouquet from Marchale, but I'm getting some of that in here too. I accidentally got some of the oil on my nose, and now my nose smells like the inside of Michaels.  On my skin: Really artificial smelling strawberries whelp. And not the Asian candy kind, either. Too much. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: Syrup. From like, a fair. On my skin: It smells like those Japanese erasers. The ones with scents.
RM: In bottle: Mmmm I don't like this one. Too much cream.

I'd be totally okay if it smelled like these, but it don't.

Bouquet from Marchale
Violet and bergamot, and a bewitching light touch of bay to keep the whole thing fresh.
Me: In bottle: Syrupy and herby, with a little bit of floral. On my skin: It smells exactly like a room in my aunt's house where she keeps all her string and Chinese instruments (she ran a business selling instruments) inventory. I was there a couple times when I was very little, and just smelling this takes me back to that room, where I ran glissandos up and down a propped up zither in the corner. So I guess it smells like wooden instruments? It's hard to describe-- to me, it's less like a scent and more like a memory. Lasted 6+ hours.
Bf: In bottle: This one smells like the green dish soap in the kitchen.
RM: In bottle: It smells like herbs and flowers. 

I wish I could play dis. 


Things I liked: Stiletto, Jardin di Principio, Scylla after 12 hours, Myrtle of Venus.

Meh: Fiori di Profumo after washing it off a bit, Bouquet from Marchale. 

Nope: Scylla before 12 hours, Cannoli, Strawberry from Syracusa-- man, I wanted to like this one so much! I chose this one over Stracciatella, Vaniglia, and Riso because I know my boyf likes strawberries and I wanted him to like at least one scent out of the many I have purchased so far, but it was a no-go for either of us.  

Things I wish I could have tried: Gelatos in Stracciatella, Vaniglia, and Riso de Anges. Vaniglia most of all, because I realized too late that there is an almost unanimous agreement on /r/indiemakeupandmore that Possets does a bombdiggety vanilla, and Gelato: Vaniglia takes some of the cake. It is definitely part of my perfume lust list, though I don't think I'll get my nostrils on one before the summer collection goes down :( Does anyone know if Possets will have a sale at the end to get rid of stock? I might be pushed to go blind on a full size if that happens.

Possets! I am a fan, though I don't think I will be purchasing any full sizes in this collection since I could never get the boyf on board with any scent, but I will definitely be throwing more money at Ajevie in future collections and decant circles!

Cheers


0 comments:

Post a Comment